Saturday, February 11, 2012

GAPS Coconut Butter Chocolates

Have you ever had Artisana Coconut Butter?  It is excellent for making frosting's, among other things.  I can eat it straight from the jar.  It is like peanut butter only with coconut flavor, it is also dryer/more fibrous and because it is higher in saturated fat (verses peanuts polyunsaturated) it is much firmer at room temperature. Eat Nourishing had a post on making homemade coconut butter and I had to try it out!  I made it in my vita-mix and it turned out pretty well, not quite as smooth, but saves me ten bucks.

Once I had a blender full of this yumminess, I got a bright idea of formulating a chocolate treat for my kids for valentine's day. Long ago on a trip to IKEA, one of my babies sneaked a silicon heart mold into my cart and I bought it without realizing.  It has been floating around the house for over five years now, and luckily I was able to locate it and use it for the first time! Amazing.

I made this a few times to work out the kinks and this is what I found. More coconut oil creates a more smooth chocolate and also pours into the molds better for a better appearance with less air bubbles, but has to be kept in the refrigerate because they melt more readily.  Less oil will make them more firm, but not worth it to me for it sacrifices creamy texture.  Less cocoa powder makes a milk chocolate like flavor, while more is like dark chocolate.  You will want to taste the mixture for sweetness, our sweet sensors are ultra sensitive since we have been eating minimal sugars, so a little goes a long way for us.

2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons raw honey
2-4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 dash salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 drops peppermint essential oil (or other flavoring)

Place coconut and oil in vita-mix and blend on high for one minute.  Scrape down sides and blend for another minute.  Check for creaminess, you may want to blend for a third minute.  Add honey, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla and any other flavoring and blend thoroughly.  Pour into molds and set up in refrigerator for 20 minutes. If you don't have a mold, you could pour mixture into a bowl and let set up slightly, then scoop out like truffles.  Makes 24 tablespoons.
links; Menu Plan Monday, Monday Mania, Recipe Swap
.

7 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! I would love for you to share these at allergy-free wednesdays this week. It will reopen Wednesday. http://www.realfoodallergyfree.com/category/allergy-free-wednesdays/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! These are so cute! Thanks for the fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, tnx for sharing!
    CJR @ TMB

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh boy! I have all this stuff on hand. I cant resist making them tonight! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is chocolate GAPS legal? If so, then AWESOMEEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, cocoa powder is allowed on full GAPS

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails