Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cinnamon Pizza

Another blast from my past of high school employment at The Pizza Ranch. There they called this dessert “Cactus Bread,” remember the western theme. Of coarse I had no recipe to work off of at this chain restaurant. The instructions included mixing this bag with water to make the dough, open this bucket for the preserved margarine stuff and that bucket for the strudel, then cut open a bag of frosting. I may have made the cinnamon sugar from scratch. Anyway, it was pretty darn yummy, so I did a little experimenting to recreate and here you have it; made with whole grains and all real food, from scratch, cinnamon pizza.

parchment paper
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons sucanat
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Roll dough out to ½ inch, place on parchment paper. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Strudel
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons sucanat
3 tablespoons sprouted flour
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt

Cut butter into dry ingredients. Crumble the strudel on top of the dough and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 500 degrees for 5 minutes.

Glaze
1 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup powdered sugar

Whisk until smooth. Let bread cool slightly and drizzle with glaze.

I have heard you can powder sucanat in the vitamix. I'll have to try it and let you know how it goes. I am really trying to avoid white sugar without sacrificing flavor, any tips?

11 comments:

  1. Yummy, I haven't had Pizza Ranch since you left. Maybe we could sample this in a couple weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can grind it to a powder, but it will be a carmel color glaze or you can make it stiffer for a frosting with some solid coconut oil..yum!

    I think your blog rocks thanks for the great ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laurene. I was afraid it would be gritty, but I will definitely do this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Pizza Ranch! We walk to it and enjoy the buffet with my sister in Minnesota! Gotta try this! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Kara, I am about to do some bulk purchasing and I'm trying to decide what sweeteners to invest in. I read this post http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/10/01/agave-nectar-and-xylitol-good-or-bad/
    where she lists the healthiest sweeteners as: stevia, palm sugar, rapadura and maple syrup. I've noticed you use sucanat a lot. What is your advice for me? I want something I'll actually use, but I want the healthiest too of course! Thanks AGAIN ;) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rapadura and sucanat are the same, so what ever you can find. My number one sweetener is raw honey. Depending on what I am using it for, it can be difficult to incorporate. That is when I go to sucanat. When sucanat is too gritty, I use maple syrup. Those are my basic 3. When getting started use half white sugar half natural sweetener so that your family can get used to the stronger flavors if the natural sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow thanks! I just bought some honey from someone who said they heated it, but not as hot as the stores usually do - but they said that 100% raw honey doesn't last long b/c it crystallizes quickly or something. Is yours 100% raw? Any differences nutritionally or storage-wise that you could share? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are heating it though cooking, it doesn't matter that it is completely raw. But beware that there are other processes besides heating that companies do like add water or corn syrup. I get 100% raw honey because of the beneficial enzymes and the pure state that is it in. It does not go bad, but crystallizes quickly. To liquefy, you can put the container in a bowl of warm water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids loved the fun of this pizza- thanks for all the healthy tidbits :)

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails