Monday, October 12, 2009

Carmel Banana Pecan Topping


We were in need of a new syrup for Friday Morning Waffles. My last creation was a bomb; a goopy, grainy, bitter mess (I blame the peaches, anybody found a way to use up icky mushy peaches?) Usually fresh berries and whipped cream suffice, only one problem, berry season is gone. We have done syrups from frozen berries and those are nice too. But for this morning I came up with a nice buttery topping with bananas that was such a treat. I can see this going well on a lot of things… hot cereal, ice cream, brownies, vegetables.
For the waffles I used the same recipe as my soaked pancakes, sometimes changing up the grains to spelt and oats. Make sure you have a nice, clean, nonstick waffle iron that gets really hot to prevent sticking. Even with all that, I still spray the iron before the fist one goes on, just for good measure.

1/3 cup sucanat
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup soaked and dehydrated pecans
2 bananas, sliced

Melt sugar and salt in butter until smooth. Add vanilla, pecans and bananas. Heat through and serve.

3 comments:

  1. You are always coming up with something and you are an inpiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously this was delish. It took me being out of maple syrup to finally try this recipe, even though I had been getting very bored with our pancakes each week. I substituted coconut palm sugar for the sucanat which I knew wouldn't make a big taste difference (I personally think the two taste very similar)... And voila, the topping was truly restaurant quality in taste, and of course above and beyond based on ingredient quality.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to do this one again around our house too. I just got some coconut sugar to play around with. It was expensive though. Where do you get yours?

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails