Monday, August 8, 2011

GAPS Guacamole Chicken Salad

In the first two stages of the GAPS intro, there is really no way around soups for breakfast lunch and dinner. However, these stages are quick for most people (less than a week) and stage three opens up a lot more possibilities, though soup is still a mainstay. Instead of just a raw yolk in soups, you get scrambled eggs! Instead of just pickle juice in soups, you get to munch on pickles! My kids' favorite, by far, is introducing "pancakes" made with ground almonds, zucchini and eggs. And we all love avocados around here, which are worth their hefty price tag at the moment.


We are not acclimated to eating all the skin, connective tissues, marrow and organs in a whole chicken. I found this ingenious way to make all that stuff taste good and hide it well enough that you don't even know that you are eating weird chicken parts. It is our new chicken salad and we eat it plain, on "pancakes" or with lettuce. When I pick a boiled chicken, I put the muscle meat in one container and the weird stuff in another. This way, depending on what I am making, I can add it in the proportions I desire. I have also found that if there is any connective tissue that is tough, I can put it back in the pot with the bones and water, simmer for 12 hours or more and it pretty much dissolves.


1 avocado
1 raw egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded chicken
1/2 cup weird chicken parts


Mash avocado with egg yolk, salt and pepper. Add chicken and combine well.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kara,

    I have followed your blog for sometime, but fell off the band wagon when we started GAPS Intro in Feb. It is tough, and you are doing great! Your chicken avacado salad looks good, I will have to try it! I am in Gilbert, and there are a few of us Gapsters around. I think 8 in AZ total, that we know about. There is a GAPS AZ Yahoo group, and are you on the GAPS Yahoo group? You can ask questions, and there is so much helpful information on there. Alot of kids throw up on Intro, and Dr. NCM says, it is probably a hypoglycemia issue, that resolves quite quickly. She says to stir some honey into butter, and give your kids bites of that every 20 min. or so to keep there blood sugar stabilized. We have only been doing gaps for 7 months, and I still feel like a newbie, but if you have any questions, or would like to meet up, you can get a hold of me at codyandbritt@yahoo.com!

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails