Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pear Butter

After my recent post on preserving pears, I learned that I had not nearly exhausted the possibilities.  I ended up dehydrating more to grind up for a crumbly topping on oatmeal and muffins.  I canned loads of pear sauce and I had my first attempt with pear butter.  This stuff was worth making just to enjoy the smell that wafted through the house.  I never wanted it to be done simmering!

It ended up cooking down to about half, I canned 8 half pints in a water bath, just as you would regular jam.  As long as you have a good blender, you don’t even need to peel the pears.  I loved how it was super sweet without too much sweetener added, unlike common jam.  AND, no pectin requiredJ

10 pounds bartlett pears, cored
1 cup white grape juice
2 inches fresh ginger, quartered
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup sucanat
1 cup honey
½ teaspoon all spice
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Simmer pears in white grape juice until very soft (20 minutes).  Puree very finely (I used my vitamix).  Place pear sauce, ginger,  lemon juice, sweeteners, all spice, cardamom and nutmeg in crock pot or other deep pot to simmer for 12 or more hours.  Tent with tinfoil, or position lid to keep the splatters in, but allowing steam out. When first setting the temperature, stir every 20 minutes.  Once a low simmer is holding, stirring is unnecessary.  After 12 hours, check the viscosity.  Take a spoonful out and drop it on a plate.  If liquid pools around it, it needs to simmer longer.  Once the dollop stays set, without pooling juice, it is done.  Pull out the 4 pieces of ginger, mix in vanilla and lemon zest and bottle up!  Makes about 8 half-pint’s.

Great on toast, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, in muffins, on top of pastries, yogurt, oatmeal or ice cream.

links; Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Frugal Friday, Fight Back Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh that sounds divine! I have loved apple butter for years and just recently discovered pumpkin butter.

    I have never heard of pear butter, but I will be making some soon!

    Great post! I hope you'll stop over and visit Free 2 Be Frugal sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pears and I know I would love pear butter. It sounds delish!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails