Monday, January 11, 2010

Cooking Chart

Per many a request I have put together a quick reference cooking chart for grains and beans. The water ratios are for cooking, unsoaked at a gentle simmer on the stovetop, harder boil = more water. When grains and beans are soaked for 12-24 hours, half the water listed is used for soaking and the other half for cooking.  When pressure cooking reduce the water ¼ cup (per cup of grain) for both soaked and unsoaked. The times listed for pressure cooking are from the time the pressure builds up to high to the time the heat is turned off and reflect that of natural release in an insulated pot. If you are using a traditional stove top pressure cooker you may find you need to add a minute or two.

Although it is great for my stats and makes me feel like I am changing the world when you come to check back again and again, I would suggest printing this chart and keeping it in a handy place in your kitchen.

Grain
Ratio
Grain: Water (unsoaked)
Cook Time (Minutes)
Stovetop
(soaked/unsoaked)
Pressure Cooker
(soaked/unsoaked)
1:1.5
10/25
2/6
1:2
20/50
4/10
1:3
30/75
5/12
Buckwheat, Hulled
1:1.5
8/20
1/4
1:2.5
35/75
6/15
1:2
12/30
3/8
1:2.5
15/45
4/10
1:2
12/30
2/6
1:2
8/20
2/5
1:2
6/15
1/4
Rice, Brown
1:2
20/45
7/14
Rye
1:2
20/45
6/12
Sorghum
1:2
10/25
2/6
1:2
25/60
5/12
1:3
6/15
1/4
1:3
25/60
6/12
Beans



Small (black, adzuki, anasazi)
1:2.5
1.5/3 hours
15/45
Medium (pinto, pink, cranberry)
1:3
2/4 hours
25/60
Large (lima, cannelloni, kidney)
1:3
2.5/5 hours
35/76
Extra large (scarlet runner, mortage lifter, fava)
1:3.5
3/6 hours
45/90

16 comments:

  1. Love your blog! You share so many great recipes and tips! I would love a printer friendly version.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Can you e-mail it to me? The I will not have to use my chef Brad cook books at all. So disapointed by that purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I'm totally one of those that comes back to the same page over and over again when I know I should just print off your recipes! :) And I'm also one who would LOVE a printer friendly version - sign me up, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love a printer friendly version. fattaleh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So delighted you're into pressure cooking. Pls keep me posted on your progress. There are details on pressure-cooking beans in my blog www.pressurecookingwithlornasass.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thank yous! I just discovered your blog and have a lot of reading to do. Good info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sending this again! I printed it out and lost it, and have been overcooking my lentils ever since! (I was too embarrassed to ask for it again; )
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you send me a printer-friendly version? Thanks!

    starleenrogers@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kara, is the pressure cooker times on this assuming the "natural" release or "quick" release method? THANKS again, it is saving me a lot of trial and error with my new much-loved pressure cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natural release in an insulated pot, which I think is the one you got.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would LOVE a printer friendly version of this chart. Could you please email to claircooper(at)yahoo(dot)com

    THANK YOU!

    Just discovered your site and this is exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of those that just discovered your blog...would love a printer friendly version of the cooking chart for grains. Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge for those of us wanting to learn. -Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!

    Kris, I need your email for that chart :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love a printer friendly version too.

    amerilla75@gmail.com

    Your site is great. I am trying to add more whole grains to our diet and this is just the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could you send me the chart? Love your blog!!! twokidsfarm @ yahoo.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. can you send me this form as well- I love your blog! I found it through Shari Goodman's and I am learning so much. I had also read that you would be willing to sell some of your info from the classes that you have. I am in Las Vegas so am unable to come to any. Please let me know what you have available & for how much! brandonfam at cox dot net

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails