Monday, April 25, 2011

Herbed Smoked Salmon Yogurt Cheese Spread

Have you made yogurt cheese?  It is a great way to make your yogurt thicker to any degree.  Just pour into a fine cheese cloth, tie the ends, let it hang and drip into a bowl (I use a wide vase)  A short drip of 2-4 hours will just give you a creamier yogurt like a Greek yogurt.  4-6 hours yields a great sour cream replacement that makes great veggie dips.  To make a cream cheese consistency, you will need to drip for 6 hours, open cloth, scrape, stir and turn contents to loosen, then drip 4 more hours. For this recipe I used a cheese somewhere between sour cream and cream cheese.

4 ounces smoked salmon
1 small shallot, finely minced
¼ cup fresh herbs, minced
4 ounces yogurt cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour to let flavors meld.  Spread on a fresh English muffin.
links; Hearth and Soul Hop, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Monday Mania, Happy Homemaker Monday, Menu Plan Monday

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow. My husband is going to go nuts over this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks.... ummm .... interesting. You caught my attention, lol. I'm sure it's yummy.

    Here's my ECLAIR CAKE recipe:

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/04/eclair-cake.html

    Love,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this dip, anything with yogurt is my favorite. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. I was right. The hubby loved it! I was wondering what herbs you used and if I didn't have them, what dry ones might work.
    Also, I wondered about the size of shallot you used. A whole one seemed like too much so I didn't add it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used dill, oregano and parsley one time and mint and tarragon another time. You should be able to use dry herbs like basil, thyme, oregano and dill.

    I used a pretty small shallot. It was about 1 heaping tablespoon once chopped.

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails