Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fish Tacos with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce

Ever eaten something at a restaurant and thought, “I can make this”? These tacos were inspired by an entrée at On the Border, it has become one of our favorite meals. It is a little elaborate, but everything but the fish can be prepared ahead of time. I have to say, these are delish. Even my brother in law who is an avid fish hater enjoyed these.

We eat fish quite often and have found that
quality counts. My dad brings us crappie from his Minnesota fishing trips, and a fisherman in our ward shares his surplus. I highly recommend making friends with a fisherman, it is very rewarding. When buying fish I look for 2 things; does the sales person know anything about the fish? Was it previously frozen? Farm raised or wild caught? When was it cleaned? If they don’t know, assume the worse. I look for fresh fish, cleaned same day. If it is frozen, I want to buy it frozen. Frozen fish is usually cleaned and frozen right on the boat which is great for quality, but if it has been thawing in the grocers’ open case for days the quality has diminished. I prefer wild caught, but is not as important as the other issues. I also like the fish in the frozen foods sections that are in vacuum sealed packages. Costco has nice frozen salmon and tilapia for around $6 per pound which can be worth the convenience.

Fish
1 lb. white fish (tilapia, cod, dad’s crappie), cut into 1 inch thick strips
½ cup rice flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons light olive oil
Combine flour, salt and peppers. Dredge fish strips. Fry in heated oil

Cabbage Mix
1 shredded carrot
1 ½ cups shredded cabbage
Combine.

½ cup cheddar cheese

Pico de gallo:
1 medium tomato, diced
1 tablespoon chopped onions
2 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
Combine all ingredients, let set 20 minutes.

Chipotle Yogurt Sauce:
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons honey
1 cup yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients in blender on high, blend well. Store in a air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes a great salad dressing for Southwestern salads.

Assembly:
Tortilla. Cabbage mix. Sauce. Fish. Cheese, Pico.
Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I made this last night- absolutely delicious! My whole family loved it. Thanks Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and I plan to try this. Just one non-food suggestion, though. You misused the apostrophe in the title of this blog. There should be no apostrophe in the word "Taco's". The word "Tacos" in this case is plural, and you do not use apostrophes with plurals. This is a very common misuse of apostrophes that I am seeing more and more of everyday. Even with professional journalists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gladgad. I corrected the error.

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails